Wednesday 12 June 2013

Last Cast for the Day ended up in Back of My Head!

I wasn't concentrating as I finished the first day fishing on the Woodstream Beat with my new double handed salmon fly rod, reel and spey line. So Thwack! One of the treble hooks was firmly planted in the back of my head! No amount of tugging would remove it. So off to Mallow Hospital I go. Out of luck as the surgical team had left for the day and the medical team did not do surgical work. So off to the Mercy Hospital Cork I go. Hello.. I have a treble hook in the back of my head.. Can you please remove it? First of all they tried to ease it free - now any fisherman will tell you that chemically sharpened hooks with barbs are designed to go in and stay in! So I wait for the surgeon who gave me a local anesthetic, shaved part of my head and began removing the hook.  Can't find the fourth hook says the surgeon...I explained it was a treble hook and soon it was out with a little nick in my head. Upon my return, Ian Powell of the Blackwater Lodge had a glass of anesthetising wine waiting for me as he explained that he would have had the hook out in 10 seconds, no pain. I hope I do not have to take Ian up on his offer.

5 good fish caught today on our beats. 1 on Kilmurray Beat, 1 on Ballyhooly Bridge Beat and 3 on Bridgetown Prior Beat which is just below Woodstream and I did not see a fish all afternoon! A cracker of a  fresh run 12 pound sea liced May fish caught.  And all on the fly!

I will be out again tomorrow surely I will christen my new rod with more than the back of my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment