Tuesday 30 July 2013

A Fish landed and a good fish lost

I fished Bridgetown Priory Beat yesterday for no success. Today I fished Lower Kilmurray and caught a 3.1 lb grilse on a size 18 black and silver stoats tail fly and lost a 15+ lb fish on a size 12 cascade.

The grilse gave me a good run down to the backing. Theb igger fish was a resident fish that had showed a number of times. I decided to give it a go by putting a largish bright fly right in front of it. It showed in my casting zone just when I was retrieving. So I cast and put the fly just in front of it. It took it very strongly and we battled for about 2 minutes when it raced off to the side of the river and the fly came out. I think that the hook opened up as it was only held by one prong. Oh well.... better luck next time!

3.1lb girlse caught on the fly at Lower Kilmurray Beat of the River Blackwater on 30th July 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment